Wednesday 30 March 2016

PRINCE REQUIEM

For the last few days, I have been digging in my old hard drives and found some videos I completely forgot about. They were done back in 2006 and 2007 and while they clearly show a lot of inexperience and weaknesses, they are part of my curious and moody body of work.

One of them is called "Prince Requiem" and is, as the name suggest, a piece dedicated to the artist formerly known as Prince and currently known as Prince. I lost track of Prince in the last few years but if you grew up in the 90s you may remember all the fuzz related to the name of the artist which became for a short time a "symbolic" sign 

I do like Prince and particularly the "Purple Rain" LP, but I'm basically fond of any track from his 80s productions. He was as influential on me as Quincy Jones, Roger Troutman or Michael Jackson. I also enjoyed all the side projects running along his most glorious years: Sheila E., The Family, The Time and so on.

Anyway, in early 2007, I did a 5 minutes+ video combining some audio from some of his songs mixed with a track I discovered through a Mylo compilation: Mylo ‎– A Rough Guide To Rave. The track I used in the video is by Ran Shani and it is called "Cool like that". I really felt the track had this Prince vibe and decided to do something with it. Unfortunately, I do not think I can share this video: it needs rework and I understand anything related to Prince is quite problematic on youtube. This one will probably remain on my hard drive just like a few others...



No comments:

Post a Comment