Monday 21 March 2016

STEWRAT

First a statement and a fact: StewRat means a lot to me.

Back in 2010, when I first heard the track "Disagreements", I did not know how influential Ryan's music would be on my work. Disagreements showed up at a difficult time: I had given up on my (side)work as RedRose and concentrated on writing screenplays. Unfortunately things did not worked out that well for me as a writer or, to be more specific, I did not push enough and expected far too much from my film producers' friends. It was a no go.

So I found "Disagreements" through our friends at French Express. AND It was magic. That sound, that sample, that beat. It is STILL the perfect track for  me.

At first, I resisted but after the 10th listen, it was clear I had some images in my head that could work and had to go back to my editing tools. And I knew without a doubt that it had to be images from "Angel A" by Luc Besson. 9 hours later the video was ready. I edited overnight and it should have been 5 in the morning when I rendered the final cut of the video. This is how I used to work back then.

What you have to understand is that I own a large library of original films on many formats (DVD, HD-DVD. Bluray but also older formats such as Laserdiscs). A few thousand titles, I try to revisit from time to time and my head is basically filled with images from all these films. I am aware that owning films on physical format is a bit of an anachronism. But I admit, I feel passionate about it and love the physical format. Vinyl is another one but no point in discussing this now.

And the other thing is that I choose these film clips for my videos on the base of the images and not for the film itself. Some of the films I have used for my videos are not particularly good...

But I am drifting and need to go back to the basic point of this post: I am extremely grateful for having been able to discover StewRat at that very particular period of time. It gave me a second chance with RedRose and helped me push my skills a little bit further.

Here's the last video I have done so far with StewRat's music; it's called OCEAN. I did this video a few months ago but did not feel it was right. Maybe it is too dark, I dunno. Still the music is brilliant and Ryan told me he liked it, so let's share it.

Thank you Ryan!



 
StewRat - Ocean from Hugo RedRose on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment